In the United Kingdom
Register of the Institute of Trichologists
To search for an IOT registrant in your area, please enter your location and distance of travel below. You can also search for Trichologists by name using the search bar. Once your search is complete, click on a Trichologist in the list to bring up their information.
The information held on our registrants include their qualifications, clinic contact information and CPD points for the previous 2 years.
All registrants are able to accept patients for the diagnosis of hair and scalp conditions. Where appropriate, treatment plans can then be recommended. If required, further referral can be advised. Registrants may list ‘special interests’ as a particular area of trichology that is either of particular interest to them, or that they have particular experience of.
Indemnity insurance is a requirement of registration for all registrants.
Subscribing registrants who have qualified with the IOT are entitled to use their post graduate letters of
Classes of Registration
For registration, AIT Trichologists have either:
– Completed the Level Five Diploma in Clinical Trichology (2.5 years). This qualification is accredited by the Institute of Trichologists and NCFE, one of the UK’s largest technical and vocational awarding organisations.
– Or, have completed equivalent education qualifications, then (if required) completed further qualifications to achieve the Level Five Diploma in Clinical Trichology.
*Pre 2021 graduates completed a qualification accredited by the Institute of Trichologists only.
In order to progress to MIT status, registrants successfully complete the IOT ‘Preceptorship’ (a ‘flexible’ developmental scheme, 6 – 24 months). A specific and supportive education programme designed to:
– To facilitate and support the transition of a newly qualified trichologist.
– To facilitate the application of new knowledge and skills.
– To raise awareness of the standards and competencies required to achieve and support to achieve these.
– To provide constructive feedback on performance.
Awarded by invitation at the discretion of the Board following outstanding contributions to the IOT or by submitting Trichology related academic research.
Awarded to trichologist outside the UK (who do not hold either of the above grades of registration). They have demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Board a professional knowledge of the science of the hair and scalp, evidenced by educational achievement and experience. They are required to abide by the IOT’s Code of Professional Conduct and Ethics.
Please see our Membership page in for more information about the meaning of a Trichologist being a registrant of the Institute of Trichologists. For more information on our Registered Trichologists, or to enquire if a Trichologist is a registrant with the Institute of Trichologists, please feel free to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.